Posted in cbzffeax

Trio make breakthrough in CCS research

first_imgGet instant access to must-read content today!To access hundreds of features, subscribe today! At a time when the world is forced to go digital more than ever before just to stay connected, discover the in-depth content our subscribers receive every month by subscribing to gasworld.Don’t just stay connected, stay at the forefront – join gasworld and become a subscriber to access all of our must-read content online from just $270. Subscribelast_img

Posted in cbzffeax

MATHESON to build new Louisiana ASU

first_imgSubscribe Get instant access to must-read content today!To access hundreds of features, subscribe today! At a time when the world is forced to go digital more than ever before just to stay connected, discover the in-depth content our subscribers receive every month by subscribing to gasworld.Don’t just stay connected, stay at the forefront – join gasworld and become a subscriber to access all of our must-read content online from just $270.last_img

Posted in cbzffeax

SRA moves to calm fears over indemnity insurer

first_imgThe Solicitors Regulation Authority has sought to reassure hundreds of law firms using Balva for professional indemnity cover after the Latvian company was placed under new restrictions. The Financial Conduct Authority has updated its register following a decision by Latvian regulators to prohibit Balva from writing any new business, effective from 1 March. But the SRA has said this restriction does not affect existing policies, so there should be no implications for around 1,300 law firms that use Balva. The firm captured almost 7% of the solicitors’ market for 2012/13, despite being an unrated insurer, according to the Law Society’s PII guide. In a letter to affected firms, the SRA states the restriction does not affect Balva’s obligation to provide cover for up to 90 days after 30 September if firms cannot renew their insurance, nor does it affect the provision of run-off cover if a firm closes without a successor practice. Firms will not be able to obtain additional policies from Balva while the restrictions are in place, so the SRA advises they may need to seek an alternative provider from 1 October. Agnieszka Scott, SRA director of policy and strategy, said: ‘While nothing is certain, we felt it necessary to write to firms to allay any fears they had over their cover. The restriction is only on new business, so firms do not need to be concerned at this time. ‘We are in regular contact with the Financial Conduct Authority and will continue to keep our eye on the Balva situation over the coming months.’ A recent survey of the legal profession found around 16% of practices – including almost a quarter of sole practitioners – ignored warnings about unrated insurers when choosing where to buy cover last year. The Law Society had warned firms in the lead-up to the renewal date to check insurer solvency following the financial collapse of two insurers, Quinn and Lemma.last_img read more

Posted in cbzffeax

Chinese military delegation visits T&T

first_imgInternationalNewsPrintRegional Chinese military delegation visits T&T by: Trinidad Express – April 17, 2015 INSPECTION TIME: Major General Yu Chao inspects a T&T Defence Force Quarter Guard formed up in his honour on Wednesday following his courtesy call on Chief of Defence Staff Major General Kenrick Maharaj at his Chaguaramas headquarters. Joining him were other high-ranking Officers from the Republic of China Armed Forces. — (Photo: Trinidad Express/ courtesy The Tinidad and Tobago Defence Force)PORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad (Trinidad Express) – The Chief of Defence Staff, Major General Kenrick Maharaj, was paid a courtesy call on Wednesday by Major General Yu Chao and a Military Delegation comprising high ranking Officers from the Republic of China Armed Forces.The delegation which was accompanied by the Chinese Ambassador to Trinidad and Tobago His Excellency Huang Xingyuan, met with Major General Maharaj and other senior members of the Force. The purpose of this visit was to strengthen the long standing relationship between the militaries and to discuss military training opportunities between both countries. During their four hour visit at the Trinidad and Tobago Defence Force Headquarters, Chaguaramas, the delegation also met with members of the Defence Force who would have recently benefited from various types of training in China.In his welcome address Maj Gen Maharaj thanked the People’s Liberation Army for providing a wide range of training and equipment to the Trinidad and Tobago Defence Force over the last decade.Major Gen Maharaj in emphasising the strong and longstanding bond of friendship and brotherhood that has been established between these two militaries over the years cited the Chinese proverb, “a bosom friend afar brings a distant land near”.In honour of Major General Yu Chao visit to the Defence Force Headquarters, he was given a general salute by a Quarter Guard and a short tour of the Defence Force Operations Command Centre. The visitors were also serenaded by the Trinidad and Tobago Defence Force Steel Orchestra.The delegation visited the Jamaica Defence Force before coming to Trinidad and Tobago. The Chinese military delegation departs our shores tomorrow to return to China. 113 Views   no discussionslast_img read more

Posted in cbzffeax

Negrense retires after losing match

first_imgIt was the Negrense fighter’s second time to retire from boxing after quitting in 2015 when he was defeated by Japanese fighter Naoya Inoue for the WBO world super flyweight belt.“This is my last fight na,” said Parreñas. “This match was an eye opener for me. I had a strong start and have even won a couple of rounds but I suddenly gassed out late in the match.”“I have achieved my purpose naman na sa pagbo-boxing and gumanda ‘yung buhay ng family ko after 12 years of boxing,” he added. “I have a stable job naman as a trainer.”With the defeat, Parreñas will be ending his career with 26 wins, eight losses and one draw with 23 knockout wins, while Funai improved his boxing slate to 30-7-0 with 21 stoppage wins./PN MANILA – Negrense boxer Warlito Parreñas failed to clinch the WBO Asia-Pacific super flyweight belt following an eighth-round knockout loss to Japanese Ryuichi Funai at the Korakuen Hall in Tokyo, Japan.It was the first defeat of the Cadiz City, Negros Occidental native – a one-time world boxing championship challenger – since returning from a two-year boxing hiatus last December.Parreñas, a former WBO Oriental super flyweight champion, was able to keep in step with the much younger Funai in the early rounds on Thursday but lost steam from sixth rounds onwards until he was knocked down by the Japanese fighter in the eighth.After the match, the 35-year-old Parreñas told Panay News he would be retiring from boxing for good and would focus on training boxers at the Japan-based Morioka Gym.last_img read more

Posted in cbzffeax

Gunakan Teknologi Pengenal Wajah, Taksi Jepang Hadirkan Iklan Sesuai Jenis Kelamin dan Usia Penumpang

first_img(Futurism) Naik taksi dan disuguhi iklan sesuai dengan umur dan jenis kelamin setiap penumpangnya? Mungkin ini menjadi hal yang baru dan bisa membuat penumpang menjadi lebih nyaman dan menikmati perjalanan mereka. Namun bagaimana caranya dan apakah ini aman untuk penumpang yang bepergian dengan taksi?Baca juga: S.Ride, Aplikasi dari Sony untuk Taksi Hailing di JepangDilansir KabarPenumpang.com dari laman situs futurism.com, pengalaman baru ini bisa dirasakan setiap penumpang jika mengunjungi Jepang tahun ini. Pasalnya saat masuk ke dalam taksi, Anda sebagai penumpang akan dihadapkan pada sebuah tablet yang akan memindai wajah untuk mengetahui jenis kelamin, usia dan karakteristik lainnya. Nantinya setelah data hasil pemindaian didapat, maka iklan yang relevan alias sesuai dengan penumpang akan ditampilkan. Sistem pengenalan wajah tersebut membuat tampilan di Twitter pada hari Sabtu (27/4/2018) setelah seorang teknisi Google Rosa Golijan memposting foto tablet.Dimana tablet tersebut diketahui digunakan dalam taksi di Jepang untuk memperkirakan jenis kelamin dan memberikan konten yang paling optimal dengan sebuah preview menarik tentang bagaimana iklan yang di paksakan dan dipersonalisasikan bisa diluncurkan di tempat lain di dunia. Tweet yang juga tanggapan Golijan ini menunjukkan banyaknya detail termasuk bagaimana cara cara data dikumpulkan dan digunakan. Teknologi yang digunakan pada tablet adalah pengenalan wajah (facial recognition) lewat fitur kamera.Kode QR di tautan gambar akan tersambung pada website pengembangan platform ecommerce Jepang yakni DeNA Co Ltd dimana secara khusus akan menghubungkan ke halaman Trust and Safety untuk layanan Premium Taxi Vision. Diketahui, Premium Taxi Vision sendiri hadir pada Januari 2019 dan dimaksudkan untuk membuat penumpang taksi lebih nyaman dan aman.Website DeNA mengatakan, pihaknya melakukan penerjemahan data dengan Google dan agaknya kenyamanan serta kemudahan dengan membuat pelanggan terhindar dari rasa malu yang ditunjukkan untuk jenis kelamin dan umur yang berbeda dari data yang didapat. Situs website milik DeNA juga menjelaskan bahwa video penumpang digunakan untuk menghasilkan profil mereka terkait usia, jenis kelamin yang diperkirakan serta jumlah penumpang di dalam taksi.Baca juga: Tidak Ada Layanan Ride-Hailing, Inikah Masa Kejayaan Taksi di Jepang?Data ini akan dikirim ke agen perkilanan Geniee, Inc dan kemudian mengirimkan iklan yang cocok untuk penumpang. Dengan cara ini pihak Geniee sendiri tidak bisa melihat rekaman data penumpang tetapi hasil ringkasan data. Dalam kasus Golijan, pihak pengiklan hanya tahu yang naik taksi adalah seorang wanita dewasa. Sehingga rekaman yang sudah didapat DeNA langsung dihapus dan perangkat lunak pengenalan wajah tidak hilang dari tablet.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Like this:Like Loading… Relatedlast_img read more

Posted in cbzffeax

Brush Fires Show Volatility of Season

first_imgBud Sexton with Nikiski Fire Department said yesterday’s vehicle fire which shortly shut down the Kenai Spur Highway started one. Kenai Fire Chief Jeff Tucker said crews responded yesterday afternoon to a different fire along the side of the Spur Highway which was likely caused by a cigarette. Sexton: “He heard a loud noise and as he looked in the rear view mirror he noticed there were flames coming out on the side of his vehicle, so he pulled on over and the gas tank looked like it might have dropped sometime after he pulled over. Flames and gasoline leaked and caught some of the brush on fire nearby and totally consumed about a 20 by 20 area.” Tucker: “The rain slash snow we’ve been having over the last few days, have really dampened those fire conditions, the fire conditions are low but as soon as it starts drying out and getting nice like it is today, we’re going to get back into dry conditions and all those dry dead grasses are going to be ripe again for the spread of fires, so we really just like to caution people of what they are doing.”center_img FacebookTwitterEmailPrintFriendly分享Two brush fires near the Kenai Spur Highway yesterday demonstrated the significant amount of fire fuel available. Debris burning permits are now required and both Sexton and Tucker warned that this fire season is forecast to be busy.last_img read more

Posted in cbzffeax

Big Changes Coming in State Budget Cuts

first_imgThe Senate subcommittee cut another $4.7 million. Last year the Department’s budget was cut by $15 million. Possible cuts include eliminating pre-kindergarten and early childhood education programs, charging seniors a $100 fee to be on a waiting list for state-run assisted living homes, and deeper cuts to the Department of Fish & Game. Fish & Game Deputy Commissioner Kevin Brooks previously told KSRM the proposed cuts will compound the budget reductions from last year… Brooks: “Repeated cuts over time really erode our ability to [operate]. In the end, we’re going to get enough fish up the river for spawning, but it makes us more conservative in our approach.” FacebookTwitterEmailPrintFriendly分享As lawmakers seek balance in the state operating budget, relatively small cuts could make a big difference for Alaskans who rely on certain state services. Brooks: “The Governor’s budget cut about $7.4 million again in the ’17 budget and the House just finished their work at the subcommittee level and they cut an additional $1.6 million. The concern there is that there’s a cut there to subsistence for $300,000 and to habitat for $200,000 and then basically an allocated cut for $1.1 million.” Brooks said the cuts may lead to some positions being combined, and some research programs will be axed.last_img read more

Posted in cbzffeax

Spokesman: Work Continues On Pebble Mine Mitigation Plan

first_imgMike Heatwole, with the Pebble Limited Partnership, said the company is working with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to finalize a wetlands mitigation plan. “Given there is still some work to conclude,” he said by email, a final decision isn’t likely to come for “another month or so.” The corps has said a decision would be written no sooner than 30 days from the July 24 public release of its final environmental review of the project. A message seeking comment on the expected timeline for completing the process was sent to a corps spokesperson Thursday. The corps has said it will have one of three options with the so-called record of decision: issue a permit, issue a permit with conditions or deny it. FacebookTwitterEmailPrintFriendly分享JUNEAU, ALASKA (AP) — A key federal permitting decision on a proposed copper and gold mine in Alaska’s Bristol Bay region could still be weeks away as work continues on a wetlands mitigation plan, a spokesperson for the company behind the Pebble Mine said Thursday.center_img Pebble CEO Tom Collier has seen the corps’ analysis as a positive for the project, while Pebble critics have assailed it as deficient. President Donald Trump’s eldest son has been among those critical of the project.last_img read more

Posted in cbzffeax

Tanya Lee | Carifta doesn’t offer much for Jamaica’s young athletes

first_imgLast Friday, I ventured to the National Stadium to support Briana Williams as she sprang into action and blew away the competition at the Carifta Trials. It was quite a tame affair with scant applause and a far cry from the big lights, big guns and electrifying atmosphere that I had experienced at the ISSA/GraceKennedy Boys and Girls’ Athletics Championships (Champs) from the very same stand six days before. At Champs, a colourful sea of 30,000 captivated spectators surrounded me. It’s the jewel of Caribbean sports ­entertainment, complete with record ­performances, personal bests and fireworks to boot. At the Carifta Trials, a small gathering of athletes, parents, meet officials and coaches are thinly scattered across the venue. No fanfare. Anti-climactic at best. Edwin Allen’s Michael Dyke said it best when he expressed concerns about athletes competing only six days after the gruelling rounds of Champs. About the 14-year-old Clayton twins – Tia and Tina – Dyke said, “It is a cause for concern because we are coming out of a hard championship, but it is the national team, and they are excited to an extent.” “To an extent,” he said. Diplomatic and euphemistic. The truth is, Champs dwarfs Carifta, but it also overshadows everything else across Jamaica’s track and field landscape. Nothing quite compares to Champs at any level. Not the National Senior trials with Usain Bolt; not the Racers Grand Prix with Yohan Blake, Asafa Powell and LaShawn Merritt; not the Jamaica Invitational with Elaine Thompson and Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce; and indeed, not Carifta. That thrilling experience that Champs brings for spectators, coaches and athletes alike merely has no parallel. Champs offers a unique value ­proposition for our athletes and coaches, and even our national programme, in that the intense atmosphere under which the athletes compete prepares them well for the pressures of professional competition. Even Olympians and World champions have publicly stated that the pressure that Champs provided prepared them mentally for their biggest global meets at the professional level. Being exposed to the euphoria of flamboyant spectators and the high-stakes affair in the biggest high-school track and field event on the planet is the ultimate trial for our youth. Invariably, participants will face the starter’s gun with little fear after that. I often wonder if Asafa Powell would have fared better on the Olympic stage had he been exposed to that Champs experience. But I digress. While the Carifta Games is excellent for fostering regional unity and development, it does very little for Jamaica’s outstanding track and field ­athletes. It affords our youngest athletes their first opportunity at national ­representation but doesn’t further develop their talent, as Jamaica dominates. In the 47 stagings of the Carifta Games since 1972, Jamaica has won all of 42 times. Jamaica has topped the Carifta tables every single year since 1984 and has over 2,000 medals from the events. The closest medal tally is courtesy of Trinidad and Tobago, on less than 50 per cent of Jamaica’s total. It’s just not competitive. For Jamaica’s best youth athletes, there are far more competitive opportunities at world youth championships and the Penn Relays. And for an athlete of Briana’s calibre, there are plenty of other ways to hone her talent and break global records. I suggest that Jamaica’s top athletes either qualify through times produced over a set period that includes Champs, or we look at Carifta as an opportunity to expose some of our other athletes outside of the elite pool. This would undoubtedly make it more competitive and lead to broader development, which is the aim of youth athletics to begin with. One love. Tanya Lee is a leading Jamaican sports marketer.last_img read more